- Other Stuff
En-suite bedrooms from £60pn. Book your course and then call us to book your accommodationFind Out More
This is a training and assessment all within the two days. Sharing your favourite trails is a wonderful feeling – and something that can really improve access to the outdoors for your friends, club mates, students or the wider cycling community. Whether you’re already familiar with the idea of mountain bike leadership or looking to find out more, we can support you to gain a qualification that will enable you to lead groups of riders for a brilliant day on the bike.
The course is ideal for anyone who is new to leading, and wants to lead groups using mixed road and off-road environments.
Prior to attending training you will need to:
• Register on the Leadership scheme with British Cycling a minimum of 3 weeks in advance, this is very important, as you need to complete FunMBL online learning prior to your course starting, an email will be sent from British Cycling with a link .
• Be at least 16 years old
• You must be able to ride a mountain bike (or another appropriate bike for the terrain) comfortably on roads with some traffic, off-road and mountain bike trails up to blue grade, be regularly riding and have an appropriate level of fitness
• You will be asked to complete a log book to evidence your recent rides. We recommend a minimum of 10 rides of at least one hour and five rides of at least 2.5 hours duration (inclusive alternatives are available by request) over the last six months
Downloadable logbook can be found here: Mountain Bike Leadership Logbook (britishcycling.org.uk)
The course is ideal for anyone who wants to lead groups using mixed road and off-road environments. This might include rides that are already taking place but require development and insurance, or perhaps you are looking to organise activity for your school, college, activity centre – or simply a group of friends. Your remit would be to lead on terrain that ranges from the urban fringe and gravel tracks through to open countryside, woodland and most trail centre blue routes.
Please visit British Cycling’s website for more details on the award structure: British Mountain Bike Leadership Awards overview (britishcycling.org.uk)
Together with Scottish Cycling and experts in the outdoor industry, British Cycling have developed a course that combines online learning with face-to-face training and assessment to give you all the skills you need to lead mountain bike rides. Though you might already be a regular on group or club rides off-road (and therefore wondering where this award fits in), there are a few important elements to the qualification that will both empower and protect you for future activity:
• Learn leadership principles and skills from the most experienced mountain bike tutors in the country.
• Get the most out of your route planning with a dedicated module.
• Keep rolling with the knowledge to fix simple trailside repairs.
• Be prepared with plans to manage accidents and emergencies – plus you’ll undergo first aid training in order to qualify.
• Get protected with leader insurance.
|Date29/04/24||Cost (with accommodation)Call Us – Prices from £60pn||Cost (no accommodation)£270.00||Places|
|Date01/06/24||Cost (with accommodation)Call Us – Prices from £60pn||Cost (no accommodation)£270.00||Places|
|Need a different date? Call 01479 861 256 to arrange your own date, or email [email protected]|
Bed and breakfast in an en-suite room
If you do not have your own bike or are unable to bring it with you to the Lodge, we have a limited fleet of Trek bikes available for use. Please get in touch to arrange this prior to your course. E-bikes can be ridden on any of our qualification courses provided this has been discussed prior to attendance and approved by the course instructor.
Small Biking Day pack – 25L max
Compass – Silva type 4 recommended
Map (Ordnance Survey sheet 36, 1:50 000)
Thin woolly hat or buff for under helmet
Gloves – thin, full finger cycling gloves are perfect
Warmer Cycle friendly Full finger Gloves – just in case its cold
Water proof jacket & trousers – Suitable for cycling
Padded cycling Shorts – there really are worth it for comfort!
Outer Baggy Cycling Shorts
Thin fleece or similar
Full leg covering – for cold days e.g. cycle tights or cycling leg warmers
Warm outdoor wear
Insulating layers – a variety of base layers are useful to control your temperature
Small personal first aid kit
Drink system – hydration pack / water bottle
Spare inner tube x2 for your bike
Small Trail Toolkit – Pump, and multi tool for minor adjustments
Emergency survival bag
Personal toiletries & medications (towels are provided)
Suncream – you just never know!
We have Laundry facilities here and a fantastic drying room so there is always the option to wash stuff as you go. Glenmore Lodge also has a pool & climbing wall – so don’t forget your swimming/climbing kit!
Can't find exactly what you are looking for? We are happy to create it for you. You can hire one of our instructors or guides from as little as £280 a day, including any equipment. If you’re a group, all of our courses are available on a date that suits you or if you would prefer we can tailor a course to your requirements. Simply get in touch to discuss your requirements.