- Other Stuff
En-suite bedrooms from £60pn. Book your course and then call us to book your accommodationFind Out More
Do you want to know what lies beyond the groomed and managed ski area? Do you like the idea of making sweeping turns through untracked powder enjoying the solitude of the mountain environment? Then this is the place to begin that adventure!
Over the 5 days you will be introduced to ski touring equipment, look at what to carry when you are skiing off-piste, explore decision making and planning tools as well as receiving personalised coaching to improving your off-piste ski technique. The five days will allow you to develop your confidence and skills, putting all the learning into practice. During the week we will be able to travel and explore some of the best ski touring Scotland has to offer. Whether you are looking to progress to our ski touring, off-piste or guided courses, this is the place to start.
The aim of Discover Backcountry is to take your skiing to the next level, with the expertise of the Glenmore Lodge instructors, to prepare you for adventuring away from the groomed slopes and into the mountains. During the week we will explore some of the best off-piste skiing Scotland has to offer.
Ski 1 – You are confident on blue pistes and enjoy skiing with smooth rhythmic turns. On red runs you are capable of controlling your speed, speeding up and slowing down by altering the size and shape of your turns. Coping strategies such as side slipping and downhill kick turns may be familiar to you.
Mtn 1 – Experience of Ice Axe and Crampons is not necessary. Skiers should be well practiced in putting on and taking off skis on slopes in soft snow.
Fit 1 – As a skier you are capable of skiing all day with regular rests without noticing a significant drop in your technique through fatigue. You are capable of hiking in soft snow with skis on your back or skinning uphill for 2 – 3 hours (600 – 800m). A moderately heavy rucksack 5 – 8kgs will be carried during your course.
Over the course of the 5 days we will cover the following:
During the 5-day course we will give you a solid introduction to the world of Backcountry Snowsports. Our experienced and qualified instructors, coaches and leaders will help you develop the skills and confidence to head away from the ski area.
The main topics covered are:
• Using ski touring equipment in ascent and decent
• Personal coaching to develop both on and off-piste ski performance.
• Backcountry specific techniques to allow you to ski with control even in the most unfavourable snow and visibility!
• Using avalanche transceivers and performing a companion rescue
• Equipment to carry when skiing in the backcountry
• Introduction to avalanche awareness, snowpack and weather
• Explore route planning and decision-making tools
|Date22/01/24||Cost (with accommodation)Call Us – Prices from £60pn||Cost (no accommodation)£690.00||Places|
|Date29/01/24||Cost (with accommodation)Call Us – Prices from £60pn||Cost (no accommodation)£690.00||Places|
|Date12/02/24||Cost (with accommodation)Call Us – Prices from £60pn||Cost (no accommodation)£690.00||Places|
|Date19/02/24||Cost (with accommodation)Call Us – Prices from £60pn||Cost (no accommodation)£690.00||Places|
|Date25/03/24||Cost (with accommodation)Call Us – Prices from £60pn||Cost (no accommodation)£690.00||Places|
|Need a different date? Call 01479 861 256 to arrange your own date, or email [email protected]|
The key to happiness and enjoyment in ski touring is having the right equipment so you can cope with whatever the environment throws at you. At Glenmore Lodge we are extremely fortunate to be partnered with Atomic skis and Scarpa ski boots. These partnerships allow us to maintain a modern range of ski touring boots and skis in our purpose-built ski store.
* Starred Items are available to borrow from GL Stores
• *Skis with touring bindings, skins and ski crampons
• *Ski Poles – ideally fixed length
• *Ski Mountaineering Boots – for example Scarpa Maestrale 2 or Maestrale RS2
• *Avalanche Transceiver – for example Pieps DSP Sport or Pro
• *3m Probe and Shovel
• Waterproof Jacket – breathable, Goretex Proshell is ideal.
• Waterproof Ski Trousers
• Thermal Bottoms, thermal Tops – long sleeves
• Mid Layers – Fleece or synthetic
• Soft Shell or fleece Jacket
• *Lightweight Belay Jacket
• Sun hut and Warm Hat
• Ski Goggles
• Warm Gloves: Thick and Thin
• Ski Socks
• *Compass and whistle – your Guide will have all the necessary maps and guidebooks
• *Rucksack – 35 – 45 litres.
• Water bottle or Flask.
• Suncream and Lip Salve – SPF 30 minimum
• Personal first aid – some tape, Compeed, plaster for blisters and your own pain relief (ibuprofen, paracetamol)
Can't find exactly what you are looking for? We are happy to create it for you. You can hire one of our instructors or guides from as little as £280 a day, including any equipment. If you’re a group, all of our courses are available on a date that suits you or if you would prefer we can tailor a course to your requirements. Simply get in touch to discuss your requirements.