You will usually be in a group of no more than two with one instructor. Meeting your instructor on the first morning provides an opportunity to discuss everyone’s experience and aspirations enabling the instructor to plan the programme based around these. The main topics to be covered are:
- Recap of core winter skills, such as using ice axe and crampons, for approaching climbs
- Basic rope work (tying into multi point anchors) and belaying both leader and second
- Use of technical ice tools and crampons on a variety of mediums (rock, ice, snow, turf)
- Coaching to develop personal climbing technique on ice and mixed ground
- Escaping from winter multi pitch climbs (including abseiling from a variety of anchors).
- Avalanche awareness and its implications for safe route choice. Winter navigation
- Evening sessions may include an avalanche awareness talk and a general interest talk.
This 5 day course will allow us to expore the above, in a variety of winter climbing venues such as Creag Meagaidh and/or Ben Nevis
The programme is fairly flexible taking into account individual needs and aims, weather, etc.