This course is aimed at anybody who is keen to develop and consolidate their skills to kayak grade 2 white water rivers, as well as developing the ability to paddle Grade 3. To get the most out of this course you should have some experience of paddling Grade 2 water; having completed our Introductory White Water kayaking course would be ideal. So, if you want two days with plenty of opportunity to hone your whitewater skills and develop your confidence on Grade 2 with possibly a bit of Grade 3 water, this is the course for you.
Improver White Water Kayak
Improver Level - 5 days | Prices from £525.00
Course Rating: 5 based on 4 reviewsRated 5.0 out of
Dates & Prices
Is It For Me?
This course is aimed at anybody who is keen to develop and consolidate their skills to kayak grade 2 white water rivers as well as developing the ability to paddle Grade 3. To get the most out of this course you should have some experience of paddling Grade 2 water; having completed our Introductory White Water kayaking course would be ideal. So, if you want a week with plenty of opportunity to hone your whitewater skills and develop your confidence on Grade 2 and progress on to Grade 3 water, this is the course for you.
This course will provide the paddler with plenty of experience of paddling a variety of Grade 2/3 rivers. In addition to this the week will focus on safe river running strategies, white water safety and rescue as well as of course developing your personal paddling skills for white water. Getting solid white water kayaking skills from our top coaches will ensure a lifetime of white water adventures, there is no better way to progress your paddling.
You will usually be in a group of no more than six with one instructor. Meeting your instructor on the first morning provides an opportunity to discuss people’s experience and aspirations, which, along with the weather forecast and water levels, will enable us to plan the week’s activities with you.
Day one we will help you sort out any boats or paddling gear you need to borrow from us. Then we will make use of a local Grade 2 river section to start consolidating and working on those essential white water skills. For the rest of the week we will paddle the rivers that offer us the best water and are at the appropriate grade for the groups needs. This will include plenty of rivers with Grade 2 and 3, ensuring there is plenty of variety with the style of the rivers. The week could involve the following rivers: Spey, Ness, Findhorn, Tay, Spean and Avon.
Whilst on these rivers we will be able to spend time coaching and developing your personal paddling, there may be an opportunity for video coaching as well. In addition to this we will be looking at developing your safe river running skills to help you leave the course feeling confident to safely paddle a similar grade of river with friends. As part of this white water safety and rescue is essential, there will be an opportunity to look at a variety of aspects of this during the week as well, as is needed.
Glenmore Lodge has a purpose made kayak rolling pool, this will be available for use every evening, so during the week we can help you start to develop a roll or help make a roll more ‘bombproof’, which is an essential skill for any white water paddler.
In addition to this you will benefit from your instructor’s wealth of knowledge of additional white water paddling venues around the UK, and more than likely the rest of the world.
Stories will be told and hopefully you will leave inspired and with knowledge to confidently take your paddling to other parts of the UK and beyond.
What Will I Need?
Glenmore Lodge has a large and very comprehensive store of up to date clothing and equipment. You are welcome to use your own equipment and pick and choose odd items from the store. Your instructor will want to check that personal equipment is appropriate for the activity.
If you are thinking about buying equipment but are not too sure what to get we would advise you to come and try our equipment and then make your purchases after the course. We have a range of most equipment items you can try during the course and there is advice on hand from other students as well as the staff.
We have a range of some of the latest river kayaks from Pyranha, Wavesport, Zet Kayaks and other top manufacturers.
Our paddling clothing is from Peak and we have a wide range tailored to your discipline.
We use a range of paddles from Werner Paddles as well as other specialist equipment as required.
GLENMORE LODGE CAN SUPPLY:
- Buoyancy aids
- Spray decks
- Wet suits
- Wet suit bootees
- Small drybags
- Dry suits (only for out of season kayak courses)
- Paddling Trousers
- Paddling Neoprene Gloves/mitts
- Split Paddles
EQUIPMENT YOU NEED TO BRING WHICH WE DO NOT HAVE IN THE STORES.
Listed here are the essentials; this is not an exhaustive list.
- Informal clothing for leisure wear
- Insulating layers – at least two mid weights
- Fleece/insulated jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Hat & gloves***
- Vacuum Flask & Water Bottle ***
- Box or bag for packed lunch.
- Blister kit/ small first aid kit
- Personal toiletries & medications (towels are provided)
- Sun cream – you just never know! ***
- Sunhat and sun glasses & cord
- Insect repellent – it may be midgey!***
- Spare towel
- An alarm clock
- Waterproof notebook ***
Glenmore Lodge also has a pool, gym & climbing wall – so don’t forget your swimming/gym/climbing kit!
Items marked *** are available in our shop subject to availability.
Remember the price is all inclusive
We want our customers to easily know what their course will cost, up front and in the open. Accommodation on the night before and the nights during your course, pick up from the train station (Friday and Sunday evenings only), breakfast, lunch, cake break and dinner are all included. All transportation on the course, centre facilities & any equipment you borrow are also part of the package.
Some experience of white water kayaking on Grade 2 water.
Course Rating: 5 based on 4 reviews Read all reviewsRated 5.0 out of
Awesome week. Saw a great uplift in my confidence and ability levels.Reviewed on 18/08/2018
|Food & Drink|
This was a brilliant course. I improved lots of skills and became more confident on the water. Great instructor. It was really useful to be able to use the rolling pool in the evenings.Reviewed on 10/07/2016
|Food & Drink|
|Food & Drink|
Giles was fantastic as an instructor and to help push my fear boundary.Reviewed on 05/07/2015
The accommodation was amazing and the catering staff were fantastic.
I'll be back very soon, hopefully!
|Food & Drink|
What’s included on your course
- Use of kit
- Shuttle bus to Glenmore Lodge (departs Aviemore station 5:20pm on Friday and Sundays)
- Packed lunch and afternoon tea each day
- In-course transport
What’s included if you choose the residential option – As above PLUS
- Bed in shared en-suite room – available from 3pm on day before your course starts *
(Single rooms may be available for a supplementary charge, please ask at reception when you arrive)
- Dinner for each course day (except one day and back-to-back courses)
- Use of the facilities at Glenmore Lodge
- Linen is provided along with a towel, you may wish to bring an extra towel if you would like to use the facilities or are on a paddlesport course
Arriving at Glenmore Lodge
- For more information on travel to the Lodge click here
- Your first inclusive meal is breakfast (7:45 -8:30am) An evening meal is not provided on your arrival night, but bar meals are available in our Lochain bar 5pm to 9pm (5-7pm on Mondays and Tuesdays)
- Packed lunches are collected at breakfast
- On Mondays and Saturdays only there will be a 10 minute welcome talk at 8.15am, on other days you will meet your instructor at 9am. The daily programme of your course will be discussed with your instructor when you first meet, taking into account aspirations and prevailing weather conditions
On your last day
- Check out time is 10am on the final day of your booking, we have changing areas, showers and left luggage facilities on site
- All courses will finish by 5pm
- On Fridays and Sundays we offer a drop off to Aviemore station, leaving Glenmore Lodge at 5pm, please contact us at least 24 hours in advance if you would like to book this service
*some exceptions – see detailed course notes
Can't find exactly what you are looking for?
Design your own course
We are happy to create it for you. You can hire one of our instructors or guides from as little as £280 a day, including any equipment. If you’re a group, all of our courses are available on a date that suits you or if you would prefer we can tailor a course to your requirements. Simply give us a call to discuss your requirements.