Is It For Me?
The course requires meeting at 20:00 on the evening of your course start date, allowing time to process paperwork, outline the course programme as well as prepare for the following day’s sessions.
Your assessors will want to see the following on the evening of arrival:
Please bring original certificates and evidence as required
• Leadership Registration Form.
• Log Book showing evidence of experience (see BC syllabus for appropriate experience).
• Recognised First Aid Award (minimum 2 day training inc. CPR) within the last 3 years.
• Relevant Leadership Training – BC Canoe Leader training (OR BC 4 Star Open Canoe Leader Training) within the last 3 years.
• Relevant Safety Training Certificate – White Water Safety & Rescue Training.
This two-day course will look at all aspects of the BC Canoe Leader Award. The Leadership Awards are a discipline specific award and you will be assessed in your chosen discipline and appropriate environment. For the BC Canoe Leader Award you will be based in the appropriate moderate water environment (for Canoe this is rivers of grade 2 and open water with winds up to force 4).
The assessment will include personal paddling, equipment awareness, environmental awareness and supporting knowledge. In addition to this safety and rescue will be covered along with leadership of a group of up to six competent paddlers.
All of the above will be covered using any of the Lodge’s on site facilities of lecture rooms, rolling pool and pond, along with the local rivers and lochs that are most appropriate.
The course will finish by giving you clear feedback and an action plan to enable you to continue progressing your paddling skills, along with hopefully awarding you with your BC Canoe Leader Award.
On your assessment course you will have real ‘mock students’ to lead. It would be of great assistance to us if you were able in any way to help supply mock students of a suitable ability for this assessment, or other assessments we run. If you feel this is possible please download the appropriate form under ‘Free Training’ on our website and get any potential mock students to fill it in.
For further information and more detailed syllabus please contact the SCA on 0131 317 7314 or look on the British Canoeing Awarding Body website:
What Will I Need?
Glenmore Lodge has a large, and very comprehensive store of up to date clothing and equipment. You are welcome to use your own equipment and pick and choose odd items from the store. Your instructor will want to check that personal equipment is appropriate for the activity.
If you are thinking about buying equipment but are not too sure what to get we would advise you to come and try our equipment and then make your purchases after the course. We have a range of most equipment items you can try during the course and there is advice on hand from other students as well as the staff.
We have a range of some of the latest open boats from Hou Canoes. Our paddling clothing is from Peak and we have a wide range tailored to your discipline. We use a range of paddles depending on the activity, Werner for canoeing. There are specialist additional open boating items such as paddles, poles and sails.
GLENMORE LODGE CAN SUPPLY:
- Bouyancy aids
- Spray decks
- Wet suits
- Wet suit bootees
- Small drybags
- Dry suits (only for out of season kayak/canoe courses)
- Paddling Trousers
- Paddling Neoprene Gloves/mitts
- Split Paddles
White Water and Swift Water Rescue
- Dry suits
- Throw lines
EQUIPMENT YOU NEED TO BRING WHICH WE DO NOT HAVE IN THE STORES.
Listed here are the essentials, this is not an exhaustive list.
- Informal clothing for leisure wear
- Insulating layers – at least two mid weights
- Fleece/insulated jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Hat & gloves***
- Vacuum Flask & Water Bottle ***
- Box or bag for packed lunch.
- Blister kit/ small first aid kit
- Personal toiletries & medications (towels are provided)
- Suncream – you just never know! ***
- Sunhat and sun glasses & cord
- Insect Repellant – it may be midgey!***
- Spare towel
- An alarm clock
- Glenmore Lodge also has a pool, gym & climbing wall – so don’t forget your swimming/gym/climbing kit!
- For open canoe courses Spey descent etc. a pair of wellies are very useful.
- For Advanced Canoe courses please bring headtorch and light sticks for night paddling.***
Items marked *** are available in our shop subject to availability.