This course will further develop the skills required for biathlon. It is aimed at individuals who have previous biathlon shooting experience. You will learn shooting theory and further development of shooting out of breath in the prone and stand positions. Running or rollerskiing will be used for out of breath exercises, and coaching will be provided for those who wish to improve their rollerskiing. Additionally there will be opportunities on this course to learn fitness techniques and skills specific to biathlon.
Biathlon - Intermediate
Intermediate Level - 4 days | Prices from £500.00
Course Rating: 5 based on 4 reviewsRated 5.0 out of
Dates & Prices
Is It For Me?
This course will further develop the skills required for biathlon. It is aimed at individuals who can:
- Rollerski for an hour on undulating terrain
- Demonstrate all rollerski skating techniques
- Shoot a 20 shot score at 50m (10 prone, 10 stand) of more than 105
You will become quicker in rifle on/off drills and further develop shooting while out of breath in the prone and stand positions. There will be an emphasis on much greater accuracy while in the calm state. Rollerskiing and running will be used for out of breath exercises, although the main emphasis will be on rollerskiing to stimulate as closely as possible the winter sport of biathlon. Additionally there will be opportunities on this course to learn fitness techniques specific to biathlon.
To get the most out of these four days we recommend that you have a high level of fitness.
Prior to your course, please complete the attached questionnaire summarising your previous experience and detailing equipment requirements, returning to Glenmore Lodge at least 1 week before course start date.
Further develop shooting skills, and the ability to shoot while out of breath, as required for the sport of biathlon.
Safety & Course Acceptance
Rifle handling and shooting is a serious business. Glenmore Lodge reserve the right to decline attendance on this course should they become aware of, or have prior knowledge of, an individual’s unsuitability for this course.
Your course instructor will be Mike Dixon, MBE, BEM. Mike competed in 6 Winter Olympics for Great Britain, one in cross country and five in biathlon, between 1984 and 2002. Mike reigned as Britain’s top biathlete from 1987 to 2002. At the Albertville Olympics in 1992 Mike was the first Olympian to ever shoot a perfect score in the Olympic 20km race.
Mike is a dynamic and inspirational instructor who has been coaching rollerskiing, cross country skiing and biathlon for the last twenty years. He is a Senior Tutor in Cross Country Skiing and Rollerskiing for Snowsport England. In 2004 he started the first biathlon development club for children.
For the last ten years Mike has been commentating for Eurosport’s Winter Season in Biathlon, Cross Country Skiing, Nordic Combined and occasionally Ski Jumping.
What Will I Need?
Listed here are the essentials, this is not an exhaustive list.
- Rollerskis, boots & poles (can be supplied if required)
- Running wear and shoes
- Midge repellent / Midge Net
- Sun screen
- Plenty of warm clothing
- Thin gloves for shooting/thick gloves for rollerskiing
- Long sleeve top to simulate ski suit
- Small backpack
- Water bottle
- Personal toiletries & medications (towels are provided)
- Glenmore Lodge also has a pool, gym & climbing wall – so don’t forget your swimming/gym/climbing kit!
Rifles, ammunition and shooting equipment supplied.
All rollerskiing equipment, boots and poles supplied, but if you have your own, you are welcome to bring them.
GLENMORE LODGE CAN SUPPLY:
- Waterproof jackets and trousers
- Walking Boots
- Day & Expedition Sacs
Remember the price is all inclusive
We want our customers to easily know what their course will cost, up front and in the open. Accommodation on the night before and the nights during your course, pick up from the train station (Friday and Sunday evenings only), breakfast, lunch, cake break and dinner are all included. All transportation on the course, centre facilities & any equipment you borrow are also part of the package.
Previous tuition in rifle handling and some experience of target shooting.
Course Rating: 5 based on 4 reviews Read all reviewsRated 5.0 out of
Another fantastic course with Mike Dixon. His expert coaching has moved my shooting and rollerskiing massively forward.Reviewed on 03/09/2016
|Food & Drink|
Amazing course ! Amazing instructor ! Amazing tea and cakes ! I was camping down the road with wife, can't comment on accomodation. Got a lot from the course, pushed mentally and physically, but loads of fun & laughs.Reviewed on 08/09/2015
|Food & Drink|
As always, Mike Dixon was superb.Reviewed on 01/09/2015
|Food & Drink|
|Food & Drink|
What’s included on your course
- Use of kit
- Shuttle bus to Glenmore Lodge (departs Aviemore station 5:20pm on Friday and Sundays)
- Packed lunch and afternoon tea each day
- In-course transport
What’s included if you choose the residential option – As above PLUS
- Bed in shared en-suite room – available from 3pm on day before your course starts *
(Single rooms may be available for a supplementary charge, please ask at reception when you arrive)
- Dinner for each course day (except one day and back-to-back courses)
- Use of the facilities at Glenmore Lodge
- Linen is provided along with a towel, you may wish to bring an extra towel if you would like to use the facilities or are on a paddlesport course
Arriving at Glenmore Lodge
- For more information on travel to the Lodge click here
- Your first inclusive meal is breakfast (7:45 -8:30am) An evening meal is not provided on your arrival night, but bar meals are available in our Lochain bar 5pm to 9pm (5-7pm on Mondays and Tuesdays)
- Packed lunches are collected at breakfast
- On Mondays and Saturdays only there will be a 10 minute welcome talk at 8.15am, on other days you will meet your instructor at 9am. The daily programme of your course will be discussed with your instructor when you first meet, taking into account aspirations and prevailing weather conditions
On your last day
- Check out time is 10am on the final day of your booking, we have changing areas, showers and left luggage facilities on site
- All courses will finish by 5pm
- On Fridays and Sundays we offer a drop off to Aviemore station, leaving Glenmore Lodge at 5pm, please contact us at least 24 hours in advance if you would like to book this service
*some exceptions – see detailed course notes
Can't find exactly what you are looking for?
Design your own course
We are happy to create it for you. You can hire one of our instructors or guides from as little as £280 a day, including any equipment. If you’re a group, all of our courses are available on a date that suits you or if you would prefer we can tailor a course to your requirements. Simply give us a call to discuss your requirements.