This course is geared for the active paddler. To get the most out of this course then you should be very comfortable on Grade 3 and have some experience of Grade 4. To have a reliable roll is pretty useful on this course, because the rivers we will be paddling are likely to have us all needing to use it! So if you want a week with plenty of Grade 4 and are keen to develop in that environment, then this is the course for you.
West Coast Kayaking (Advanced)
Advanced Level - 5 days | Prices from £750.00
Dates & Prices
Is It For Me?
This course is geared for the active paddler. To get the most out of this course then you should be very comfortable on Grade 3 and have some experience of Grade 4. To have a reliable roll is pretty useful on this course, because the rivers we will be paddling are likely to have us all needing to use it. If you want a week with plenty of Grade 4 and are keen to develop in that environment, then this is the course for you.
This course will provide the paddler with plenty of experience of paddling a variety of West Coast Grade 3/4 rivers. In addition to this the week will focus on safe river running strategies, white water safety and rescue as well as developing your personal paddling on advanced white water.
You will usually be in a group of no more than six with one instructor. Meeting your instructor on the first morning provides an opportunity to discuss people’s experience and aspirations, which along with the weather forecast and water levels will enable us to plan the weeks’ activity with you.
Day one we will help you sorting out any boats or paddling gear you need to borrow from us, and then we will head off towards the west coast, paddling a river on the way of course! This could well be a section of the Pattack, Roy or Spean that will give a good Grade 3/4 warm up day and enable us to introduce some coaching and safe river running themes.
For the rest of the week we will be based at comfortable accommodation at Inchree, just south of Fort William. This will enable us to paddle the West Coast rivers that offer us the best water and are at the appropriate grade for the groups needs. This will include plenty of rivers with Grade 4 and could include the following: Roy, Spean, Pattack, Orchy, Etive, Coe, Gloy, Arkaig and Garry.
Whilst paddling as many rivers as possible we will be able to spend time coaching and developing your personal paddling. In addition to this we will be looking at developing your safe river running skills to help you leave the course feeling confident to safely paddle a similar grade of river with friends. As part of this white water safety and rescue is essential, there will also be opportunities to look at a variety of aspects of this during the week.
In addition to this you will benefit from your instructor’s wealth of knowledge of additional white water paddling venues around the UK, and more than likely the rest of the world. Stories will be told and hopefully you will leave inspired and with knowledge to confidently take your paddling to other parts of the UK and beyond.
Your course will be spent in comfortable twin bedded en-suite rooms at Inchree. Bed linen and towels are all provided.
All food for the week will be supplied in the on-site pub, with packed lunches provided whilst out for the day. There are laundry / drying and lecture facilities, and an area for hosing down wetsuits. Free WiFi is available.
Inchree is situated 7 miles south of Fort William and 5 miles north of Glencoe. See www.inchree.co.uk for more details.
What Will I Need?
Glenmore Lodge has a large and very comprehensive store of up to date clothing and equipment. You are welcome to use your own equipment and pick and choose odd items from the store. Your instructor will want to check that personal equipment is appropriate for the activity.
If you are thinking about buying equipment but are not too sure what to get we would advise you to come and try our equipment and then make your purchases after the course. We have a range of most equipment items you can try during the course and there is advice on hand from other students as well as the staff.
We have a range of some of the latest river kayaks from Pyranha and other top manufacturers. All our sea kayaks are this year’s models from P&H and Valley. Our open boats are all new from Mad River, Wenonah and Venture. The surf kayaks are also of up to date design from Valley and Mega.
Our paddling clothing is from Peak and we have a wide range tailored to your discipline.
We use a range of paddles depending on the activity, Lendal and Werner for sea kayaking and Werner for river/surf kayaking and canoeing. There are specialist additional open boating items such as paddles, poles and sails.
GLENMORE LODGE CAN SUPPLY:
- Buoyancy aids
- Spray decks
- Wet suits
- Wet suit bootees
- Small drybags
- Dry suits (only for out of season kayak courses)
- Paddling Trousers
- Paddling Neoprene Gloves/mitts
- Split Paddles
EQUIPMENT YOU NEED TO BRING WHICH WE DO NOT HAVE IN THE STORES.
Listed here are the essentials; this is not an exhaustive list.
- Informal clothing for leisure wear
- Insulating layers – at least two mid weights
- Fleece/insulated jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Hat & gloves***
- Vacuum Flask & Water Bottle ***
- Box or bag for packed lunch.
- Blister kit/ small first aid kit
- Personal toiletries & medications (towels are provided)
- Sun cream – you just never know! ***
- Sunhat and sun glasses & cord
- Insect repellent – it may be midgey!***
- Spare towel
- An alarm clock
- Waterproof notebook ***
Glenmore Lodge has a pool, gym & climbing wall, so don’t forget your swimming/gym/climbing kit!
Items marked *** are available in our shop subject to availability.
Remember the price is all inclusive
We want our customers to easily know what their course will cost, up front and in the open. Accommodation on the night before and the nights during your course, pick up from the train station (Friday and Sunday evenings only), breakfast, lunch, cake break and dinner are all included. All transportation on the course, centre facilities & any equipment you borrow are also part of the package.
10 days paddling on Grade 3/4 rivers, reliable white water roll.
What’s included on your course
- Use of kit
- Shuttle bus to Glenmore Lodge (departs Aviemore station 5:20pm on Friday and Sundays)
- Packed lunch and afternoon tea each day
- In-course transport
What’s included if you choose the residential option – As above PLUS
- Bed in shared en-suite room – available from 3pm on day before your course starts *
(Single rooms may be available for a supplementary charge, please ask at reception when you arrive)
- Dinner for each course day (except one day and back-to-back courses)
- Use of the facilities at Glenmore Lodge
- Linen is provided along with a towel, you may wish to bring an extra towel if you would like to use the facilities or are on a paddlesport course
Arriving at Glenmore Lodge
- For more information on travel to the Lodge click here
- Your first inclusive meal is breakfast (7:45 -8:30am) An evening meal is not provided on your arrival night, but bar meals are available in our Lochain bar 5pm to 9pm (5-7pm on Mondays and Tuesdays)
- Packed lunches are collected at breakfast
- On Mondays and Saturdays only there will be a 10 minute welcome talk at 8.15am, on other days you will meet your instructor at 9am. The daily programme of your course will be discussed with your instructor when you first meet, taking into account aspirations and prevailing weather conditions
On your last day
- Check out time is 10am on the final day of your booking, we have changing areas, showers and left luggage facilities on site
- All courses will finish by 5pm
- On Fridays and Sundays we offer a drop off to Aviemore station, leaving Glenmore Lodge at 5pm, please contact us at least 24 hours in advance if you would like to book this service
*some exceptions – see detailed course notes
Can't find exactly what you are looking for?
Design your own course
We are happy to create it for you. You can hire one of our instructors or guides from as little as £280 a day, including any equipment. If you’re a group, all of our courses are available on a date that suits you or if you would prefer we can tailor a course to your requirements. Simply give us a call to discuss your requirements.