Learn the skills and techniques necessary to lead winter climbs, graded II and above.
You will usually be in a group of no more than two with one instructor. The main topics to be covered are:
- Recap of core winter skills, such as using ice axe and crampons, for approaching climbs
- Basic rope work (tying into multi point anchors) and belaying both leader and second
- Use of technical ice tools and crampons on a variety of mediums (rock, ice, snow, turf)
- Various snow anchors
- Coaching to develop personal climbing technique on ice and mixed ground
- Escaping from winter multi pitch climbs (including abseiling from a variety of anchors).
- Avalanche awareness and its implications for safe route choice.