Is It For Me?
For this course we ask that you arrive for 09:00 on the morning of your course start date.
When you meet your trainers at 09.00, they will need to see the following:
• Note: It is not essential to be a member of either the SCA or BC to undertake training. However, we recommend that all students join before attending. Tel BC on 0845 370 9500; or Tel SCA on 0131 317 7314.
• BC Sea Kayak Leader Sea Award (OR BC 4 star sea kayak) or BC Level 3 Sea Kayak Award.
This three-day course will provide relevant training to allow paddlers to work towards sitting their BC Advanced Sea Kayak Leader Assessment. The BC Advanced Sea Kayak Leader Award is a discipline specific award and you will receive training in sea in appropriate advanced sea conditions and environments.
The training course will include personal paddling, tidal planning equipment awareness, environmental awareness and supporting knowledge. In addition to this safety and rescue will be covered along with leadership of small groups of peer paddlers. Over the three days this will include the BC Sea Kayak Open Water Navigation and Tidal Planning Course as well as the BC Advanced Sea Kayak Leader Training.
All of the above will be covered using the fantastic locations that are on offer in the North Coast of Scotland in the Thurso area. Where we meet and run the course from has has classroom facilities for theory and planning aspects of the course.
As part of the training course it is anticipated that a night paddling exercise may take place, please bring head-torches and light sticks for this. The course will finish by giving you a clear feedback and an action plan as to how to progress to a BC Advanced Sea Leader Assessment.
For further information and more detailed syllabus please contact the SCA on 0131 317 7314 or look on the Coaching part of the website;
http://canoescotland.org/courses-training/bcu-star-awards and http://canoescotland.org/courses-training/bcu-safety-training
Arrival & Departure Information
Please aim to arrive on the first morning of the course by 0900, this will allow us to introduce the course and then maximise our delivery time. We will meet you at The Northern Sands Hotel, Dunnet, Thurso, KW14 8XD so please arrange your own travel arrangements and accommodation. The course will finish by 17.00 on the last day.
This is a Non-residential course
We will base ourselves at the The Northern Sands Hotel, Dunnet, KW14 8XD near Thurso. This gives us lots of options to get to the best venues on the North coast with plenty of flexibility with the weather, as well as teas/coffees and classroom facilities. There is plenty of accommodation options in the area including camping, hostels or the hotel itself. Please arrange your own accommodation for this course, we would advice not booking accommodation until your course is confirmed.
You should aim to arrive for 09.00 hrs on the first morning
What Will I Need?
If you need equipment please let us know in advance so we can bring it across for you a form is attached, please return this form to us even if no equipment is required. Please note that we are only able to supply you with a plastic boat.
Glenmore Lodge has a large, and very comprehensive store of up to date clothing and equipment. You are welcome to use your own equipment and pick and choose odd items from the store. Your instructor will want to check that personal equipment is appropriate for the activity.
If you are thinking about buying equipment but are not too sure what to get we would advise you to come and try our equipment and then make your purchases after the course. We have a range of most equipment items you can try during the course and there is advice on hand from other students as well as the staff.
We have a range of some of the latest sea kayaks from P&H and Valley. Our paddling clothing is from Peak and we have a wide range tailored to your discipline. We use a range of paddles depending on the activity, Lendal and Werner for sea kayaking.
GLENMORE LODGE CAN SUPPLY:
- Bouyancy aids
- Spray decks
- Wet suits
- Wet suit bootees
- Small drybags
- Dry suits (only for out of season kayak courses)
- Paddling Trousers
- Paddling Neoprene Gloves/mitts
- Split Paddles
- Large dry bags
- Barrels for open boat journeys
- Sleeping bag & liner
- Tents (2 & 3 person)
- Cookers, (Trangias, MSR & primus) we have paraffin and meths only. If you prefer to use your own stove you must bring the fuel for it.
- Pots and pans
- Cutlery / plastic mug
EQUIPMENT YOU NEED TO BRING WHICH WE DO NOT HAVE IN THE STORES.
Listed here are the essentials, this is not an exhaustive list.
- Informal clothing for leisure wear
- Insulating layers – at least two mid weights
- Fleece/insulated jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Hat & gloves***
- Vacuum Flask & Water Bottle ***
- Blister kit/ small first aid kit
- Spare towel
- An alarm clock
- Box or bag for packed lunch.
- Personal toiletries & medications (towels are provided)
- Suncream – you just never know! ***
- Sunhat and sun glasses & cord
- Insect Repellant – it may be midgey!***
- Compass – Silva type 4 recommended ***
- Personal Towel if staying at Inchree on Intro Sea Kayaking Course
- For 5 Star courses please bring headtorch & light sticks for night paddling***
Items marked *** are available in our shop subject to availability.