Is It For Me?
When you meet your trainers they will need to see the following:
• Note: It is not essential to be a member of either the SCA or BC to undertake training. However, we recommend that all students join before attending. Tel BC on 0845 370 9500; or Tel SCA on 0131 317 7314.
• BC Canoe Leader Award (BC 4 star Open Canoe Leader Award) or BC Level 3 Canoe Award.
This four day course will provide relevant training to allow paddlers to work towards sitting their BC Advanced Canoe Leader Assessment. The BC advanced Canoe Leader Award is a discipline specific award and you will receive training in canoe in appropriate advanced white water rivers of grade 3 standard and open water with winds up to Force 5.
The time on the course will be spent looking at the BC Advanced Canoe Leader syllabus which will include; personal paddling, leadership, equipment, rescue and environmental awareness. All this will take place on appropriate advanced water. It is anticipated that a night paddling exercise will take place as part of the training course, please bring head-torches and any other equipment you have for night paddling with you.
The four day package will provide you with everything you need to progress on to BC Advanced Canoe Leader assessment, including the safety and rescue aspects for Canoe.
All of the above will be covered using any of the Lodge’s on site facilities of lecture rooms and rolling pool, along with the local rivers and lochs.
The course will finish by giving you a clear feedback and an action plan as to how to progress to a BC Advanced Canoe Leader Assessment.
For further information and more detailed syllabus please contact the SCA on 0131 317 7314 or look on the Coaching part of the website;
What Will I Need?
Please note that if you do require to borrow a boat we will only be able to offer a plastic boat.
Glenmore Lodge has a large, and very comprehensive store of up to date clothing and equipment. You are welcome to use your own equipment and pick and choose odd items from the store. Your instructor will want to check that personal equipment is appropriate for the activity.
If you are thinking about buying equipment but are not too sure what to get we would advise you to come and try our equipment and then make your purchases after the course. We have a range of most equipment items you can try during the course and there is advice on hand from other students as well as the staff.
We have a range of some of the latest open boats from Hou Canoes, Mad River, Wenonah and Venture. Our paddling clothing is from Peak and we have a wide range tailored to your discipline. We use a range of paddles depending on the activity, Werner for canoe. There are specialist additional open boating items such as paddles, poles and sails.
GLENMORE LODGE CAN SUPPLY:
- Bouyancy aids
- Spray decks
- Wet suits
- Wet suit bootees
- Small drybags
- Dry suits (only for out of season kayak courses)
- Paddling Trousers
- Paddling Neoprene Gloves/mitts
- Split Paddles
White Water and Swift Water Rescue
- Dry suits
- Throw lines
- Large dry bags
- Barrels for open boat journeys
- Sleeping bag & liner
- Tents (2 & 3 person)
- Cookers, (Trangias, MSR & primus) we have paraffin and meths only. If you prefer to use your own stove you must bring the fuel for it.
- Pots and pans
- Cutlery / plastic mug
EQUIPMENT YOU NEED TO BRING WHICH WE DO NOT HAVE IN THE STORES.
Listed here are the essentials, this is not an exhaustive list.
- Informal clothing for leisure wear
- Insulating layers – at least two mid weights
- Fleece/insulated jacket
- Waterproof jacket
- Hat & gloves***
- Vacuum Flask & Water Bottle ***
- Box or bag for packed lunch.
- Blister kit/ small first aid kit
- Personal toiletries & medications (towels are provided)
- Suncream – you just never know! ***
- Sunhat and sun glasses & cord
- Insect Repellant – it may be midgey!***
- Spare towel
- An alarm clock
- Glenmore Lodge also has a pool, gym & climbing wall – so don’t forget your swimming/gym/climbing kit!
- For open canoe courses Spey descent etc. a pair of wellies are very useful.
- For 5 Star courses please bring headtorch and light sticks for night paddling.***
Items marked *** are available in our shop subject to availability.