Sport climbing is an amazing facet of climbing where you can really focus on the enjoyment of climbing and challenge yourself in a welcoming social environment. Become a sport climber is the perfect step for the indoor climber/ Boulder who wants to adventure outside, Or if you are someone who really enjoys the movement and challenge of climbing. We aim to experience climbing outside in a variety of locations, as well as to equip you with the tools and techniques to go sport climbing in the future for yourself.
Indoor to Outdoor Sport Climber
Improver Level - 2 days | Prices from £285.00
Dates & Prices
Is It For Me?
The main focus of this two day course is introducing participants from indoor climbing to sport climbing whilst enjoying maximum climbing mileage. Most of the course will be based outside with all the climbing action taking place at local sport climbing venues.
The aim of this course is to equip you so that you can lead sport climbs outside in a safe and assured manner.
You will usually be in a team of four with one instructor. Meeting your instructor on the first morning provides an opportunity to discuss the experience and aspirations of you and the other participants, enabling the instructor to plan the program around the main topics to be covered. These are:
The main topics to be covered are:
- Individualized coaching to develop and improve rock climbing movement skills.
- Belaying using a wide variety ropes & devices in a bottom rope & lead situation – including holding falls and lowering.
- Lead climbing, clipping bolts and lowering-off safely (if appropriate to students abilities)
- Stick ‘clipping’, aiding a climb and escaping if unsuccessful.
What Will I Need?
Glenmore Lodge has a large and very comprehensive store of up to date clothing and equipment. You are welcome to use your own equipment and pick and choose odd items from the store. Your instructor will want to check that personal equipment is appropriate for the activity.
If you are thinking about buying equipment but are not too sure what to get we would advise you to come and try our equipment and then make your purchases after the course. We have a range of most equipment items you can try during the course and there is advice on hand from other students as well as the staff.
GLENMORE LODGE CAN SUPPLY:
- Waterproof jackets and trousers
- Rock shoes
- All emergency group kit including ropes.
EQUIPMENT YOU NEED TO BRING WHICH WE DO NOT HAVE IN THE STORES.
Listed here are the essentials, this is not an exhaustive list.
- Informal clothing for leisure wear
- Warm outdoor wear
- Insulating layers – at least one mid weight and one warm fleece layer
- General trekking trousers are recommended, not jeans though.
- Spare fleece/insulated jacket
- Hat & gloves
- Map information – we encourage everyone on mountain courses to have a map covering the Northern Cairngorms.
- Rucksack liner (or sturdy bin liner) / dry bags
- Vacuum Flask & Water Bottle ***
- Box or bag for packed lunch.
- Blister kit/ small first aid kit
- Personal toiletries & medications (towels are provided)
- Suncream – you just never know! ***
- Spare towel
- An alarm clock
Glenmore Lodge also has a pool, gym & climbing wall – so don’t forget your swimming/gym/climbing kit!
Items marked *** are available in our shop subject to availability.
Remember the price is all inclusive
We want our customers to easily know what their course will cost, up front and in the open. Accommodation on the night before and the nights during your course, pick up from the train station (Friday and Sunday evenings only), breakfast, lunch, cake break and dinner are all included. All transportation on the course, centre facilities & any equipment you borrow are also part of the package.
To get the most from this course you should have some indoor wall leading experience and be climbing at the indoor wall grade of 6a.
Can't find exactly what you are looking for?
Design your own course
We are happy to create it for you. You can hire one of our instructors or guides from as little as £280 a day, including any equipment. If you’re a group, all of our courses are available on a date that suits you or if you would prefer we can tailor a course to your requirements. Simply give us a call to discuss your requirements.