Is It For Me?
A one day climbing course where your climbing gets the once over and we eliminate any bad habits and put you on the road to progression. A fantastic “quick hit” of a course perfect for those who haven’t had any formal tuition in the past or for a while and want to check we’re still doing things by the book. This course can cover a range of areas from single pitch to multi-pitch and it is up to you and your instructor to tailor the days to your needs.
The aim of the course is to have you leave with the satisfaction that your climbing ‘good habits’ have been reinforced and your climbing ‘ bad habits’ have been replaced!
You will usually be in a team of two with one instructor. Meeting your instructor the morning of the course provides an opportunity to discuss you and the other participants experience and aspirations, enabling the instructor to plan the program around the main topics needing to be covered, such as;
- Movement skills
- Rope work
- Building belays & stance management
- Placing protection
- Safeguarding a personal abseil
- Use of the guidebook
Lead climbing, with the inherent risk of falling no matter how well managed, is risky. You should be aware off and accept these risks. You will therefore be encouraged to discuss with your instructor how you progress throughout the day to allow both you and your instructor to manage these risks
What Will I Need?
Glenmore Lodge has a large and very comprehensive store of up to date clothing and equipment. You are welcome to use your own equipment and pick and choose odd items from the store. Your instructor will want to check that personal equipment is appropriate for the activity.
If you are thinking about buying equipment but are not too sure what to get we would advise you to come and try our equipment and then make your purchases after the course. We have a range of most equipment items you can try during the course and there is advice on hand from other students as well as the staff.
GLENMORE LODGE CAN SUPPLY:
- Waterproof jackets and trousers
- Rock shoes
- All emergency group kit including ropes.
EQUIPMENT YOU NEED TO BRING WHICH WE DO NOT HAVE IN THE STORES.
Listed here are the essentials, this is not an exhaustive list.
- Informal clothing for leisure wear
- Warm outdoor wear
- Insulating layers – at least one mid weight and one warm fleece layer
- General trekking trousers are recommended, not jeans though.
- Spare fleece/insulated jacket
- Hat & gloves
- Map information – we encourage everyone on mountain courses to have a map covering the Northern Cairngorms.
- Rucksack liner (or sturdy bin liner) / dry bags
- Vacuum Flask & Water Bottle ***
- Box or bag for packed lunch.
- Blister kit/ small first aid kit
- Personal toiletries & medications (towels are provided)
- Suncream – you just never know! ***
- Spare towel
- An alarm clock
Glenmore Lodge also has a pool, gym & climbing wall – so don’t forget your swimming/gym/climbing kit!
Items marked *** are available in our shop subject to availability.
Remember the price is all inclusive
We want our customers to easily know what their course will cost, up front and in the open. Accommodation on the night before and the nights during your course, pick up from the train station (Friday and Sunday evenings only), breakfast, lunch, cake break and dinner are all included. All transportation on the course, centre facilities & any equipment you borrow are also part of the package.