Our aim is to develop the technical skills required to lead single / multi-pitch rock climbs confidently and competently on a variety of crags.
The main topics to be covered are:
- Develop participants rock climbing skills whilst leading multi pitch climbs.
- Re-cap on core rock climbing skills such as movement on rock, belaying both leader and second (including holding falls and lowering), tying into multi – point anchors both in reach and out of reach using the rope alone.
- Re-cap on using rock climbing protection equipment such as nuts, hexes and camming devices and assessing the efficacy of the placements in a multi-pitch context.
- Stance management on multi-pitch climbs – creating belays, organising ropes etc.
- Setting up and using a retrievable abseil, including protecting yourself on an abseil using an auto block, to escape from a multi – pitch climb.
- An evening session will include relevant technical and theoretical input.
Lead climbing is an inherently risk activity. Even with the best supervision by our experienced instructors there is still the risk of falling and associated injury.