You will usually be in a group of no more than two with one instructor. Meeting your instructor on the first morning provides an opportunity to discuss everyone’s experience and aspirations enabling the instructor to plan the programme based around these. The main topics to be covered are:
- Ascents of classic winter climbs, whilst developing personal climbing technique
- Intensive coaching to develop personal climbing technique on ice and mixed ground
- Technical sessions on basic rope work and belaying.
- Use of technical ice tools and crampons on a variety of mediums (rock, ice, snow, turf)
- Escaping from winter multi pitch climbs (including abseiling from a variety of anchors)
- Avalanche awareness and its implications for safe route choice
- Winter navigation
The 5 days allows time to cover a variety of areas and venues in the Cairngiorms, Creag Meagaidh and/or Ben Nevis
Evening sessions may include an avalanche awareness talk and a general interest talk.
The programme is fairly flexible taking into account individual needs and aims, weather, etc.