You will usually be in a group of no more than six with one instructor. Meeting your instructor on the first morning provides an opportunity to discuss everyone’s experience and aspirations enabling the instructor to plan the programme based around these. The main topics to be covered are:
- Selection and organisation of personal kit appropriate to winter hill walking
- Personal movement skills on snow, including kicking steps and using the ice axe for walking, self-belay, cutting steps, and self-arrest
- Use of crampons in ascent/descent
- Emergency procedures
- Avalanche awareness and safe route choice
- Core techniques of winter navigation
Evening sessions may include a winter navigation talk and avalanche awareness talk.
The programme is fairly flexible taking into account individual needs and aims, weather, etc.