You will usually be in a group of no more than six with one instructor. Meeting your instructor on the first morning provides an opportunity to discuss everyone’s experience and aspirations enabling the instructor to plan the programme based around these. The main topics to be covered are:
- Selection and organisation of personal kit appropriate to winter hill walking
- Personal movement skills on snow, including kicking steps and using the ice axe for walking, self-belay, cutting steps, and self-arrest
- Use of crampons in ascent/descent
- Emergency procedures
- Avalanche awareness and safe route choice
- Core techniques of winter navigation
- Poor visibility navigation
- Route planning in winter taking into account weather, conditions and avalanche risk
As this course is 5 days it allows us to use the time to cover a variety of areas and venues in the Cairngorms as well as, venues such as Creag Meagaidh, and/or Ben Nevis
Evening lecture topics may include winter hazards, winter navigation and avalanche awareness.
The programme is fairly flexible taking into account individual needs and aims, weather, etc.