Home What Kit to Bring
What Kit to Bring
Equipment you'll need for your time here
Glenmore Lodge has a large, and very comprehensive store of up to date clothing and equipment. You are welcome to use your own equipment and pick and choose odd items from the store. Your instructor will want to check that personal equipment is appropriate for the activity, particularly in winter.
If you are thinking about buying equipment (things like ice axe, boots and crampons in particular for the winter courses) but are not too sure what to get we would advise you to come and try our equipment and then make your purchases after the course. We have a range of most equipment items you can try during the course and there is advice on hand from other students as well as the staff.
Essential items you should bring with you:
Summer Mountaineering & Paddling
- Basic outdoor warm clothing, thick socks, underwear, shirts, fleeces, hats & gloves
- General trekking trousers are recommended, not jeans though
- Thermal vest or thin fleece tops & bathing costume for under wet suits
- Thermos flask / water bottle
- Box or bag for packed lunch
- Waterproof 1:50,000 map of the Cairngorms & compass (hill courses only).
- Personal first aid kit, wash bag, sun glasses, sun screen, insect repellent, alarm clock.
- A towel is supplied but you may wish to bring your own particularly if on a paddling course.
- Gym kit if you wish to use the gym.
- Harness, belay device & rock shoes if you want to use the climbing wall.
- For open canoe courses, a pair of wellies are very useful.
- As for summer, but thicker mountaineering trousers and thermal underwear.
- Ski goggles for all winter hill based courses
- Spare gloves/ mittens, waterproof outers and a spare hat
For ML courses
- A 1:25,000 map may be useful
- Goretex bivi bag for Winter ML training & assessment.
- You may prefer to use your own sleeping bag, mat, cooker, etc.
Whilst we have a limited supply of mountain bikes and biking equipment we would advise you to bring:
- Bike, helmet, gloves, repair kit, tools and bike computer if possible.
- MBLA courses require you to provide all of the above.
Our Stores can supply:
Mountaineering/Scrambling/Summer & Winter Climbing
- Helmet, harness, rock shoes.
- All technical climbing equipment, ropes, specialised winter climbing tools.
- Snowholing equipment (shovel, saw, transceiver & avalanche probe)
- Skis with bindings, skins, boots, poles, transceivers
- All winter mountaineering gear as above.
- Sleeping bag & liner. Karrimat, Tent - 2 & 3 person, cookers.
- If you prefer to use your own stove you must bring the fuel for it.
Kayaking/Canoeing/Swift Water Rescue
- Kayak's, river, sea & surf / open boats.
- Wetsuits, drysuits, cags, spray decks, paddles, bouyancy aids, helmets, dry bags & throw lines.